Spell-checking in Armenian – a nightmare

The only working solution for spell-checking my Armenian language texts is the Armenian PowerSpell 2009 which is expensive – costs 9000 AMD per year for the one computer license.
The program adds spelling option to Microsoft Word. It works, however, it is not the ideal solution because, while it claims having 500,000 word dictionary, I found that it doesn’t recognize a surprisingly lot of Armenian words. To be fair th0ugh, the program has an “Add to dictionary” option.
Also, forget about spell-as-you-type option, and I also found the program to be very demanding in terms of computer resources – quite slow! Armenian PowerSpell 2009 is a combination of a standalone program (which looks like an Access database shield) and a Visual Basic Macro, which installs into Microsoft Word. The Macro is locked – so you can’t view or edit the program, which is quite frustrating, because I’ve seen a couple of errors and would like to correct those (e.g. the Macro doesn’t recognize the Armenian question mark and the ՛եւ՛ letter). Above all – I don’t like proprietary software, when I know that there ought to be better open source options.
Armenian language is not listed in Microsoft Proofing Tools page – so I assume it’s not supported by Microsoft, even as there is a Microsoft office in Armenia.
Armenian is not listed in Open Office v3 language extensions either – although, years ago, there was a release of the Armenian language Open Office.
There is also something called the ArmSpell Project which doesn’t really provide anything useful if you’re on Windows, and I have yet to test the Linux stuff they’re offering.

Scroll to top