Once the capital of a medieval Armenian kingdom that covered much of present day Armenia and eastern Turkey, Ani today is a ruined and uninhabited site situated in the Turkish province of Kars, beside the border with Armenia. The city is located on a triangular site, visually dramatic and naturally defensive, protected on its eastern side by the ravine of the Akhurian River and on its western side by the Tzaghkotzadzor valley.
Called the “City of 1001 Churches”, it stood on various trade routes and its many religious buildings, palaces, and fortifications were amongst the most technically and artistically advanced structures in the world.
At its height, Ani had a population of 100,000–200,000 people and was the rival of Constantinople, Baghdad and Cairo.
Long ago renowned for its splendor and magnificence, Ani has been abandoned and largely forgotten for centuries.