- The Cost of Corruption
- Armenia to surpass Azerbaijan and Georgia by GDP per capita. IMF
- A Facebook user detained on pretext of "endangering national security" in Armenia
- Record number of passengers in Yerevan airport; new, affordable flight routs to Armenia
- Armenia Issues A Statement on Developments in Baghdad
The democratic alliance “United Javakhk”, a grassroot NGO advocating for human rights of Javakhk Armenians, was attacked and crashed without any solid legal grounds by the Georgian special police units in the city of Akhalkalak.
At the current moment:
* Over 500 Georgian special police officers are stationed in Javakhk region of Georgia (this is in addition to the regular police force);
* Over 20 members of “United Javakhk were thrown to jail without due course/legal procedures;
* The Georgian operatives too control over local internet provider and independent radio station. A number of other local media outlets are shut down, which effectively limits freedom of the media and access of the general public to infromation for the local population;
* The office of “United Javakhk” had been illegally searched and weapons were “found” (allegedly all planted by the Georgian police units);
* The population of Akhlkalak and the entire region is under the constant threat of a illegal arrests, beatings and other mass violations of human rights;
* Armenian and Georgian media and state authorities do not comment the situation
Call your local Armenian grassroot organizations and ask them to act – issue statements, write letters to international human rights organizations, spread the word about the injustice in Javakhk etc.
Protest mass arrests, beatings and killings in the region. Demand Georgian authorities to free the arrested “Unified Javakhk” members, who in fact are harrassed and arrested for their political views andmust be seen as political prisoners. Demand adequate transparent investigation of the matter by combined Armenian-Georgian task force and/or by independent and trusted international experts.